Police Arrest 10 Terrorists Linked to Chabahar Attack

TEHRAN - Ten terrorists linked to the Thursday terrorist attack on Iran’s Southeastern port city of Chabahar have been arrested so far, Iranian Police Chief Brigadier General Hossein Ashtari stated on Sunday.

ImanNews.com - “God-willingly, the main elements and the masterminds behind this terrorist attack will be identified, arrested, and punished, with good cooperation and coordination between people, police, and the judiciary system,” said Iranian Police Chief Brigadier General Hossein Ashtari today.

He then hailed the bravery of the police forces who thwarted the plot, and added that good clues to spped up the identification of the masterminds of the attack have been found.

Iran’s police chief reassured that good progresses have been made in the case, and the results will be publicly announced in a very near future.

Elsewhere, he touched upon the issue of Iranian border guards abducted by Pakistani-based terrorists, and reassured that with good coordination between foreign ministry and the armed forces the rest of the kidnapped guards would be released.

In a relevant development on Thursday, Deputy Governor-General of Sistan and Balouchestan Province for Security and Law Enforcement Affairs Mohammad Hadi Mara'ashi told FNA that "a bomb blast was heard some minutes ago near a police station on a street in Chabahar city and security forces and aid groups were immediately deployed to the region".

He added that the bomb which was planted inside a car killed 2 people and wounded many others.

Local sources also said that at least 2 law enforcement police have been killed in the terrorist attack. The suicide bomber meant to open his path into the Law Enforcement command center, but was forced to stop where he blew up himself and the car.

Meantime, Caretaker of Chabahar city's Governor-General Office Bameri confirmed the death and injury of a number of people in the bomb blast, stressing that conditions are under control now.

He added that the bomb was planted inside a pickup truck near the Law Enforcement Police's station.

"A number of women, children and local business owners are among the wounded people who were transferred to Imam Ali (AS) hospital," Bameri said.

Latest reports by Chabahar medical officials said that wounded people were accepted to the city's hospitals, among them a pregnant woman and a 16-year-old adolescent.

Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Ground Force Commander Brigadier General Mohammad Pakpour underlined on Thursday that full security has been established in the Southeastern city of Chabahar after the Thursday morning terrorist attack.

Chabahar city is in full security and complete safety, General Pakpour said.

He added that a car with explosives tried to attack Police Headquarters in the city, noting that "unfortunately, a number of compatriots were martyred and injured by this blind terrorist operation", which had no achievements for terrorists.

The commander said the suicide car could not enter the police headquarters, adding that reports concerning martyrdom of the city's police commander are not correct.

General Pakpour visited the blast site on Thursday.

Also, the chief commander of Chabahar's Law Enforcement Police dismissed media claims that he was killed in the terrorist attack.

Foreign media reports said that Ansar al-Forqan terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the Thursday morning suicide blast in Iran's Southeastern city of Chabahar.